This document describes how to set up SAFR to be used to record attendance to an event thru a registration station. This is a managed of self-serviced attendance process. In the managed case, one or more staff register people as they arrive to an event, This can be done with a handheld device or from a registration desk with a laptop and a webcam. The staff asks the person to pose and the camera is pointed at the person's face until recognition occurs. This process would be similar to scanning a badge. Once recognized, registration is complete. The record is stored to the events database where it can be reported on later.
In the self-registration mode, a kiosk is set up and new arrivals will go to the kiosk, click the screen to wake it up if necessary and wait for their name to be displayed. If recognition occurs, then a welcome message is displayed. If recognition does not occur, then user is prompted to click on the purple oval around their face to register themselves.
Registrants can be added in two different ways
- Images along with other information such as name and ID number can be pre-loaded thru a process described below.
- Unrecognized persons can be added at the time of check-in directly thru the registration device
- If managed by registration staff, If the person is not recognized, the staff can ask their name and enter the information on the screen.
- For self-registration kiosk, person can be prompted to enter name if not present in database
- Download and install git from "https://git-scm.com/downloads"
- Go to http://safr.real.com/download
- Sign in with your SAFR Account
- Download and install "SAFR Edge for Windows" "Standard Edition"
- Configure SAFRActions to write CSV file
- Make sure SAFRActions application is closed
- Copy 'SAFRActions.config" to following location (overwrite existing file)
- C:\Program Files\RealNetworks\SAFR\ares\scrips\
- Mode should be "Recognize" (at top of screen).
- Switch to Front or Back camera as needed using icon in lower left
- Open Preferences by clicking on the gear icon
- On Android this is in upper left. On iPhone its in lower left
- Go to Account Tab and set following:
- Make sure the Environment is set to "SAFR Cloud"
- username (user identifier)
- password (user password)
- User source (camera or phone name such as "Note9")
- user Site (location such as "Center")
- Go to the Events tab and set the following:
- Check "Report Events" checkbox
- Open the SAFR App
- Switch the camera to the rear facing camera so its pointing at people in front of you
- Hold the phone up to someone so the face takes up 1/2 the screen or more
- An oval will be drawn around the person's face
- A grey circle means that image is not clear enough or not facing the camera
- Move closer to the person or ask them to look directly in the camera until color changes
- A purple circle means person is not recognized but can be added
- A green circle means person is recognized (you should see the name below the oval unless a name was never added
- Following directions above. If oval is purple perform the following
- Click inside the purple oval
- Wait for a prompt to type name
- Type in the name and if desired the location in format of "First Last (stop name)"
- e.g. "Jane Doe (Main Street)
- Submit the dialog.
- You should see the oval change to green and name show up belo face
- If not, try again or take a picture and add later
- Create new directory inside F:\SAFR with pictures to import (e.g. Pictures2)
- Create a CSV file inside F:\SAFR with the list of new people to import from Pictures2 directory (e.g. Pictures2.csv).
- Columns of the file should be: first_name,last_name,ID,imagefile,stopname,dummycolumn
- Note: dummycolumn is an extra column needed to prevent error due to bug in script. This column is ignored and can be any string.
- Run “Git bash”
- Inside the Git Bash window type the following commands:
- cd /f/SAFR
- sh import.sh -u <username> -p <password> -d <pictures directory> -f <people file> > <results file>
- e.g. : sh import.sh -u youraccount -p ******* -d Pictures2 -f Pictures2.csv > Pictures2Results.txt
- The output will be written to the file "Pictures2Results.txt" so you can review if needed.
The CSV log file contains one row for reach recognition. This may include duplicates. To report attendance the report should group by person by day to identify which people attended which days. This can be done easily in Excel as demonstrated by attached
To import new data to the report do the following:
The process for updating the report with new data is as follows:
- Copy new CSV file from SAFR Actions logs directory to local machine
Do not open the CSV file from the server because Excel will block new writes toe the file while it is open.
- Open new CSV file, click anywhere in the table of data and press Control-A (this selects all rows) then copy the selection
- Open events_log_report_examlpe XLS
- Select cell A1 of the "timelog" tab
- Paste the data copied from the CSV file in Step 2
- Go to the report tab. Right click the pivot table in Columns A-C and choose "Refresh".
- If needed, extend the formulas in columns E and F to produce results for all pivot table rows.
- Make sure you checked "Reprot Events" in the SAFR Application
- In Preferences in the "Events" tab, the very top checkbox "Report Events" must be selected
- Make sure there are no errors in the log file
- Open Log in following location in a text editor like Notepad or Wordpad
- Scroll to the bottom and look for last few lines:
- --- RECONFIGURED at 2019-06-01 18:24:49
NETWORK ERROR: 2019-06-01 18:24:49 0 Socket closed
Listening for events...
- The last line should be "Listening for Events"
- Its ok to see "NETWORK ERROR"